Fourth attempt :-)
I think skirts are my latest favorite thing to knit.
Once I got the color repeats lined up.
Seriously, that was the hardest part.
I was lucky, I happened to be at Knit Purl when the yarn had just arrived and I was able to pick two 150g balls from a full (10 balls) bag.
Kauni Effektgarn, is sold by the gram, the balls are somewhere around 150g (+/-30g), it has long color repeats and there are no dyelots.
I picked two of the larger balls that were dark at the center so my skirt would be dark at the top transitioning to light at the hem (skirt is knit top down).
That was my plan.
I ended up rewinding both 150g balls to get all the dark yarn at the beginning and lining up the color repeats.
I used 250g of the 300g I started with.
The lace pattern is quick to memorize and gives the skirt a nice drape in a light springy wool.
inserted increases earlier than pattern (cuz that’s how I’m shaped)
added 5 repeats of the last pattern section
finished with one row of purl to coax the bind off row to curl under
this bind off method
instead of knitting a drawstring (DH thought that was pretty funny when I told him that was in the pattern!) I used a grosgrain ribbon.
I used the cardboard centers from a couple of rolls of wrapping paper covered with plastic wrap for blocking.
Apparently my DH cannot have too many Husky hats:
malabrigo SOCK in Violeta Africana and Ochre
cast on enough stitches
2×2 ribbing for a while
stockinette for a while
decrease down to nuthin
striping along the way.
I needed to block my Catherine Lowe beanie
folded kitchen towels into quarters lengthwise and rolled them together to get the right diameter:
wrapped a ribbon around it:
shaped the crown by pushing the center up:
covered it in plastic wrap:
put the washed wet hat on top, and pinned it:
I’ve had this pattern for…
…since before it went out of print a few years ago.
I’ve had the yarn for…a while.
As well as the buttons. sheesh.
and I love this color. So much. Too much for just socks.
Shibui Sock in Midnight
Compare gauge and yardage:
Scottish Fleet_________Shibui Sock
100 g________________50 g
28-36 sts/ 4inches_____30 sts/4 inches
245 yds______________191 yds
Since the gauges were similar, I aimed for comparable yardage.
For the pattern requirement of 7 balls of Scottish Fleet I would need about 9 hanks of Shibui Sock:
7 skeins x 245 yds/skein (Fleet) = 1715 yds
1715 yds ÷ 191 yds/hank(Shibui) ~ 9 hanks
So, I bought 11 hanks of Shibui sock. Because that’s how I think.
I ended up using 8 hanks + 3.7g of Shibui Sock.
And now I have enough leftover yarn for socks and mittens
or mittens and a hat!
Pewter buttons from
Button Emporium & Ribbonry
Shortened overall about 1 inch.
For button band, pick-up 3 stitches every 4 rows, instead of pattern specific stitch number.
Dropped the front neckline about 1-1/2 inches; pattern is crewneck.
Added back neck shaping (white dashed curve) for a better fit; the pattern is straight across.
Skipped the picot cast on, too fiddly and frilly for me.
Fiddly cast on, I never could get the points to look consistent
Of course, I also omitted the additional picot trim around the front.
If I could just find some time.
Some LOT of time…
Meanwhile, I’ll just knit something Catherine Lowe designed with her beautiful yarn.
CL IV alpaca silk yarn in black violet -
one big ball of yarn for both the hat & cowl custom wound for my order!
This CL IV is 4 alpaca strands and 4 silk strands put together, not twisted together.
It knit up incredibly soft and springy.
Simple Couture 4.01 cowl
I love this skirt!Habu Textiles Kit A-84
It drapes and moves beautifully and feels fantastic.
The pattern calls for a drawstring at the waist, but I added a studded skinny belt instead.
The skirt is knit with two yarns held together; it comes on one cone of a-1 tsumugi silk and one cone of a-32 silk mohair, with no knots.
I would have LOST MY MIND if I had had to try to find and count the 47 decreases on each panel of this tweedy mohairy knit!
I ran a light colored thread through the edges before soaking so it would be easier to put in the blocking wires when it was all dark wet silk and mohair.
I made a template for the pieces to simplify blocking.
I used two blocking wires at the hem, one through the main fabric (two yarns held together) and a second wire through the mohair/silk single border.